In message <002501cad660$c4bd5f70$d600a...@tamuracorp.com>, dated Wed, 7
Apr 2010, Brian O'Connell <oconne...@tamuracorp.com> writes:

>The scope statement seems to indicate that 62477 is intended to codify
>the overlap between 60364, 60050, and a product family safety standard.

You didn't mean 60050, I think. 60950 already IS a product family safety
standard. I'm not sure what you mean by 'codify the overlap'. 60364
isn't harmonized in Europe, and the national versions vary in the extent
of their references to load equipment.

>Will 62477 be a normative ref, similar to the way 60664-x is
>referenced; or is it intended to be like 60990, to provide a common
>test method across various product safety standards ? Both ??

Not exactly: see this Part of the scope:

This International Standard is intended to be used:

• for reference by product standards or,

• as minimum requirements for the safety aspects of PSCS in
apparatus for which no product standard exists.

For products already covered by product standards those product
standards apply.

I doubt that there are any products that don't have an applicable safety
standard, in Europe anyway.

I don't think many product safety standards committees will want to make
many references to such a costly and complex standard. I think they will
prefer to write their own, hopefully consistent texts.

On bad days, I dream of the IEC standard that consists of absolutely no
words other than normative references to other standards. (;-)
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>