Prior to running a 61000-4-8 magnetic power frequency test, we place a
magnitometer at the center of the coil (no EUT), and adjust the
voltage/current into the primary of the step down transformer until the field
strength is correct. We then record the voltage and current levels, and use
these for the test. We do this measurement for each of the 3 coil orientations
(We have large floorstanding EUTs, so it's easier to reorient the coil rather
than the EUT).

The only problem we are encountering is that we have been unable to find any
cal lab that will give us a traceable calibration for the magnitometer, (which
I doubt our assessor will like). Our cal lab does not do this type of
calibration, and of the several they contacted about sub-contracting this,
more than one said that "they didn't want to go there".

So, my questions

1) How are other people verifying the field strength, so that it's traceable?

2) Are there cal labs that can provide traceable calibrations for
magnetometers?

John D. Flavin
Teradata TCP Engineering
17095 Via del Campo
San Diego, CA 92127
john.fla...@teradata.com
V: (858) 485-3874
F: (213) 337-5432

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>