  From: "Kunde, Brian" [brian_ku...@lecotc.com]
  Sent: 03/30/2010 09:03 AM AST
  To: "emc-p...@ieee.org" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
  Subject: Receiver Recommendations

We are looking to replace our old HP 8546A receiver and looking for any
recommendations.

We use this receiver to run semi-automated Radiated Emissions scans in a 10
meter semi-anechoic chamber up to 6Ghz. We also will use this for Line
Conducted scans.

Our biggest concern with a replacement receiver is when we are performing a
Peak Scan we have to match up sweep data from the receiver with the turntable
position. Currently with the turntable moving, we sweep the receiver, download
the data into a computer, then read the turntable position and keep track of
the position of the highest signal at each frequency.  We have to be able to do
this very fast to get data at small turntable angle intervals.  Currently we
can download sweeps faster than 1 per second.

We have looked at a few of the new digital and time-domain receivers but they
seem to be way to slow at scanning and downloading data to a computer.  They
seem to take too much time thinking before displaying their data. This type of
receiver won’t work in place of our current receiver and method of testing
unless there is a way to speed them up.

For those of you who do similar type of scans with your receiver, what
recommendations do you have?

If we have to change our test method to accommodate the newer receivers, what
test method do you recommend?

Please note that the new receivers we have seen were demo units operated by
salesmen who were not able to get them to operate fast enough for our current
need. We might be able to speed the receiver up by reducing the number of data
points per sweep.  One receiver we looked at only had a USB port interface and
I don’t think that will be fast enough to transfer data in real time to our
computer.

I’m hoping there will be at least a few out there in IEEE land who can pass on
some recommendations.

We would like to find a good quality accurate receiver that will do what we
need it to do and at a reasonable price. Does such exist?

Thank you in advance.

The Other Brian

_________________________

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html