Hi Chris:

Good question!

My comment was an over-simplification.

The following comments presume a constant
clearance dimension between the electrodes.
The variable is the air pressure.

Another way to look at it:  The more air you
pack between the electrodes (the higher the
air pressure), the greater the electric
strength.

Air breakdown starts with ionization of the air
molecules.  The EMF causes the ions to collide.
The collisions then multiply exponentially and
conduction occurs.

The lower the air pressure, the easier it is to
ionize the air molecules.  However, there is a
limit when the air molecules become scarce as the
system approaches a vacuum.  This limit is about
10**(-4) torr, about 138,000 feet altitude or
42,000 meters altitude.

Vacuum breakdown is due to emissions from the
electrode surfaces.  The electric strength of a
vacuum is in the order of 10**8 V/mm.

Best regards,
Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html