Battery chargers are dependent on intended end use, and if tested to 60601-x,
may not meet some critical requirements that are specified in product safety
standards scoped for chargers.

The 3d ed of 60601-1 says IT equipment power supply is ok to use for certain
types of medical equipment, typically where MOPP not required. So  it is
obvious that these units may not have a DofC to the MDD.

Again, the DoC should not necessarily be the salient document for components.
Look at the test standard and test report for the component to determine
suitability.

Brian

My co-worker feels power supplies do not fall under the MDD due to Article 1,
section
2a.  Paraphrasing, it says the Directive covers devices that provide a medical
function.
This would be the equipment powered by our product.
While I agree external power supplies don't provide a medical function, I
think they
fall under the MDD as an 'accessory', as described in section 2b and section 1.

Opinions?  Links to interpretation papers?

Pat Lawler
EMC Engineer
SL Power Electronics Corp.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html