Note: this is a re-send since the list server is acting odd along with my
computer since connecting tonight.
**scan for everything - mine says its clear but ... **

I can understand the Blackwood Labs position, but certainly not the attitude,
having worked at a test lab myself.  Where I've worked, we tested to the
standard, and recommended additional testing to higher levels, pointing out
the standards remark about the level being the minimum requirement to market
the product and certainly not the covering the "extreme" events that may
occur; much like Mr.Smith recommends.

Now working for a manufacturer, we have a product assurance lab that does test
to well above the requirements of the standards.  We have also had to deal
with the winter returns Mr. Smith mentions and have developed ESD tests the
replicate the symptoms.  They are not the usual "standards" test, but they do
demonstrate the problem so it can be debugged and fixed.  No complaints or
returns so far this winter.

Another standard that is a bit mis-leading has to do with the power dips and
dropouts (ok, I can't remember every one of the numbers).  We have found, in
the wild, as in returns, that the few parameters called out in the standard do
not come anywhere close to finding the problems that can occur.  However, the
tests we have developed do take somewhat longer to complete, but the products
now will handle "any" power variation.  Again, no returns yet for this solved
problem.

Thanks to Blackwood Labs for my continued employment.
ps. We have tested up to 200 V/m sweep trying to get a fail.  That's the
advantage of an in-house lab - you get to blowup the EUT and have a couple of
beers with the engineers over the spectacular fireball that spewed out of the
vents.  I love the smell of burning part's first thing in the morning.

Mr. Nobody, otherwise known as,
- Bill