In message <201001051019.o05aj8a9013...@hormel5.ieee.org>, dated Tue, 5
Jan 2010, Brian Jones <e...@brianjones.co.uk> writes:

> Anyone in Europe can suggest improvements to their national committees
>that, subject to national agreement, could be proposed to CENELEC.

I did just that, but the UK NC didn't submit them, even though they were
largely accepted.(8-O(

It's an over-simplification to define two environments, because that
doesn't take into account low-frequency emissions (610003-2, -3, -11 and
-12).

This is what I sent to BSI as comments and counterproposals on a
proposal to 'harmonize' environments:

Comments

The proposed definitions are too indirect, and in fact are circular,
because the A and B limits are set according to one or more of the
existing definitions of the classes.

[snip]

There are, or should be, two technical factors in the classification:

For low frequency phenomena: is the electricity supply public or
private?

For high-frequency phenomena: are there likely to be broadcast radio or
television receivers within 10 m?  (See the Note to the CISPR 22
definition of Class B.)

NOTE: These two factors have been addressed previously by R de Vré in
submissions to CLC/TC210 shortly before his retirement.

The application of these factors is not quite straightforward because
these Classes are not used in standards for low frequency phenomena; in
fact in IEC 61000-3-2, 'Class A' and 'Class B' mean something completely
different.

Counter-proposals

Proposed definitions:

Class A: products intended by the manufacturer to be used:

  - on private electricity supplies

OR, when meeting certain requirements for low-frequency emissions

  - on public electricity supplies

AND

  -  in locations where broadcast radio or television receivers are not
sited within 10 m.

Class B: products intended by the manufacturer to be used:

  - on public electricity supplies (optionally, on private supplies as
well)

AND

  - in locations where broadcast radio or television receivers are sited
within 10 m.

I think these statements are quite explicit and unambiguous. At the very
least, they may be useful guides.
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>