From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of Price,
Edward
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:44 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [PSES] Conductive Paint / Grease and bare metal bonding
connections

Recalling that a “safety ground” is one which is expected to draw a heavy
fault current, in order to activate the protective line disconnect device
(fuse or circuit breaker), then star washers are not the best choice.
Although the tiny points of the star washer probably have sufficient
contact pressure to maintain a gas-tight contact (and not oxidize over a
long time), those same tiny points do not provide a large conductive path
for a fault current.

A good safety ground must maintain its conductivity over a long period,
and also be able to carry the instantaneous fault current.

I would always use a flat washer, with a split-ring lock washer to
maintain pressure of a bolted joint. So that means that I would need a
conductive “footprint” under the flat washer and cable lug that is being
pressed down by the fastening nut.

Moving on to how a case should be built, I think it’s important to provide
for the safety grounds as an engineered, factory made solution. Safety
grounds inside your equipment expose you to too much liability to justify
allowing grounding to be done by scrapping the cabinet paint and bolting
on a jumper cable. If an installer knows what he’s doing, he can create a
long-lasting safety ground. But years later, should your company get sued,
you better have explicit documentation of the process, and you will have
better evidence of proper work if it was done in the controlled
environment of your plant rather than at a jobsite.

When I think of a safety ground, I envision a factory welded stud, with
the entire panel treated for conductivity and then masked and painted for
corrosion protection. And then, after assembly, a nice touch would be
painting or RTV over the assembled joint.

Since my company uses small aluminum boxes for almost everything, we add a
chemical conductive film over the entire box, then mask joints (faying
surfaces) and then apply epoxy paint. Lid fasteners, connector bolts and
ground studs are usually stainless steel.

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com     WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>