        Subject: Re: [PSES] Emissions (now the STS O-ring debate)
        From: "Price, Edward" <ed.pr...@cubic.com>
        Date: Sat, December 19, 2009 11:29 am
        To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

        While it was fascinating to learn of the compromises and bad
assumptions that led to this disaster, I think you can say that the players
were locked into their positions by some nasty political horse-trading.

        We talk about the seals, saying that rubber O-rings sealing a rocket
motor case doesn’t sound too bright. But they had to seal the seams somehow,
because there were seams. OK, now why were the booster rockets built out of
multiple linked cylindrical sections? Was this decision based on good
rocket-building guidelines, or maybe because they needed to ship the rockets a
long way from where they were built to where they were used?

        I don’t think I have heard any discussion about why the boosters were
designed this way. Perhaps it was because the boosters were required to be
re-usable, or perhaps it was just a quick answer to how to ship them easily,
once a vendor had already been selected (based on the time-honored process of
distributing the jobs to the right Congressional districts).

        Usual disclaimers; my suspicious private opinions only.

        Ed Price
        ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN
        NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
        Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
        Cubic Defense Applications
        San Diego, CA  USA
        858-505-2780
        Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

intense

        > customer intimidation."[47] For his honesty and integrity leading up

        > and directly following the shuttle disaster, Roger Boisjoly was
awarded

        > the Prize for Scientific Freedom and Responsibility from the American

        > Association for the Advancement of Science."

        > MacDonald had an engineering background, but at the time he was a

        > Thiokol manager at the launch center and later wrote a book about the

        > disaster.  To his credit, he followed his technical instincts once

        > given the facts, but he is not mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

        > Boisjoly was the engineer inside Thiokol who ran the numbers and
raised

        > the alarm, then held his position against management pressure even at

        > the threat of losing his job.

        > Orin Laney

emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to
<emc-p...@ieee.org>

        All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc
        Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to
that URL.
        List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html
        Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>
        Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
        David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html