I offer a slightly different interpretation of the O-ring tragedy than Messrs.
McDiarmid and Mr. O’Connell et al.

As at many other large organizations, there is a strong line of demarcation
between management and engineering responsibilities within NASA.  This results
in a Balkanization of priorities, where management is primarily concerned with
getting the job done, and the engineers are primarily concerned with getting
things right.   Managers come up the ranks from engineering, but once they
move up a few levels they are in charge of engineering disciplines they do not
understand well.  At that point, they have to rely on engineers’ inputs to
make important decisions concerning issues they do not fully understand.

When engineers on average appear to have a strongly vested position in no risk
at the expense of schedule, and when the suggestions they offer, again on
average, do not support schedules and appear to be self-serving in that they
are overly conservative, then on average managers begin to lose faith in
engineering’s inputs, and they rely more and more on their own gut feel.
That works only as long as the decision is rooted in a discipline the manager
understands, but it can be disastrous when he is outside his area of
competency.

I liken this to the fable of the little boy who cried wolf.  When managers
repeatedly get answers they cannot use from engineering, engineering loses
credibility, and management cannot tell the difference between a real warning,
and business as usual.

In conclusion, I am saying this is a systemic problem, in that the
organizational split in job priorities results in a severing of authority, and
responsibility.  Once that happens, the organization decision making process
is damaged.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261