In message
<9d04b979323dcd428297dda95108893e03557...@bb-corp-ex2.corp.cubic.cub>,
dated Fri, 6 Nov 2009, "Price, Edward" <ed.pr...@cubic.com> writes:

>When "millions of products that operate without any problem" suddenly
>become non-compliant with a standard, doesn't that mean that the
>adjustment should be made to the standard and not the products?

It isn't as simple as that. However, the 'grandfather' clause in IEC/EN
61000-4-7:2002 does just that, which is why throwing doubt on its
validity is reprehensible.

The trouble with low-frequency conducted EMC is that when an EMC problem
crops up, it can be extremely difficult and costly to fix it. And the
*potential* to cause a problem has to be considered, as well as the
current position.

For example, there seems to be no product in use at present that
produces a significant interharmonic emission current within a certain
band between 200 Hz and 250 Hz. But if such a product appears, it could
disrupt automatic electricity meter tariff switching in a European
country, affecting millions of people as well as the electricity
suppliers.

Many of these EMC problems that do occur are very localized, so
wide-area surveys report that 'all is well', but smoke is coming out of
the system in just a few places.

The situation worsens at higher frequencies, because of the high
voltages that can be developed across inductors, in the supply system
and in load equipment, and the high currents that can flow in capacitors
in load equipment. The emission spectrum of large variable-speed drives
can extend well beyond 9 kHz, and for smaller 'switching' products, 10
MHz is not the limit.

In summary, we DO need interharmonic emission control, it's getting
there that is so 'fascinating'.
Help stamp out intolerance!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>