Hello,

Apologies in advance for raising the dead from the grave, but I have a feeling
what I am not the only one in this boat.

Can we have a short survey on how the consumer electronics or any other ITE
Class B equipment vendors intend to comply with EuP Directive, implementing
commission regulation 1275?

It's being discussed previously on this forum what if you believe it is
inappropriate for your product to have off or standby mode, than you don't do
it. But, new published guidance, clearly require to provide technical
justification to support your position.

Today we received a letter from legal department at one of the biggest retail
buyers in Netherlands, explicitly asking for off mode (by means of on/off
switch) and agreeing for not having standby mode. The equipment we sell to
them revolves around home networking: wlan, gateways, routers, switches.

Can we all share some opinions, if you prefer without mentioning your company
name, on this matter? Are your products going to have off mode? if not, what
is your technical justification?

Just some known facts: if product is Class A, it is exempt. If product uses 6V
or less adapter, it is exempt. Off mode is defined by being still connected to
mains (here goes one of the arguments of disconnecting power cord), but not
providing any function.

Not a fact, but there most likely will be different document for networked
standby, so we might can get a away for now from having standby mode for
networking equipment.

As well I believe there is a preparatory study going in one of the EU
commission, excluding all networking products from 1275.

And last, but not least, Switzerland has their own law/regulation on this
matter, which somewhat differ from EU.

Do we have anyone on this list who is (or can point us to) some kind of
authoritative figure or institution whom we can contact to get some answers?
can I go to attend some EU commission hearing on the matter? Are where any
experts for hire who can provide their opinion? NB? CB?

Mark

________________________________

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live. Learn more.
<http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-sc
ut/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&fil
=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1
00&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,
1,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID247
7::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>