From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Knighten, Jim L
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 1:58 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: certifying overall products vs. certifying individual constituant
chassis

Guys,

The responses to my question regarding certifying products at the ensemble
overall product level vs. certifying at the individual chassis, or subsystem,
level have been fascinating and appreciated.

I appreciate the robust and knowledgeable input from expert consultants and
test labs.

I encourage more representatives from manufacturers to chime in to the
discussion of this topic.  Are you certifying your products (what John
Woodgate calls "not custom" products, i.e., produced for numerous customers
and sold and billed as a unit) as a unit, or as constituent subsystems, or
chassis? By the term "certifying," I include BOTH EMC and safety.

Jim

James L. Knighten, Ph.D.
EMC Engineer
Teradata Corporation