Van: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] Namens John Woodgate
Verzonden: donderdag 29 oktober 2009 18:32
Aan: emc-p...@ieee.org
Onderwerp: Re: Converting energy to power rating for surge transient

In message <541403.70322...@web52201.mail.re2.yahoo.com>, dated Thu, 29
Oct 2009, Dave Wilson <davewilson...@yahoo.com> writes:

>I need to determine what power rating a resistor has to be to
>adequately dissipate 0.5J (a 1.2/50us surge of 500V from a 500 ohm
>source). Anyone have a conversion formula?

It's not a matter of power rating. You need a resistor that will
withstand the thermal shock of 1 A being applied over 1.2 μs, in
addition to the 500 V applied. It also needs to have negligible
inductance. There are companies that make resistors specially for this
sort of application.
Help stamp out intolerance!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>