In message <4aa775df.6624.005...@trw.com>, dated Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Luke
Turnbull <luke.turnb...@trw.com> writes:

>As Derek said, UKAS document Lab 34 would be a good read for more
>information:
>
>http://www.ukas.com/library/Technical-Information/Pubs-Technical-Article
>s/Pubs-List/Lab34.pdf

Yes, this is quite helpful.

>This document will (I think), tell you to divide each number by sqrt(3)
>before adding them using root-sum-squares.

Only if the probability distribution is rectangular (i.e. all values
within the tolerance range are equally probable).

For Normally-distributed variation (I write 'N' to indicate that this is
a special meaning), the variation is theoretically unbounded, so it has
to be curtailed to something that has a high level of confidence -
probability that it does not hide an error. The accepted confidence
level is 95%, and for that the uncertainty value is divided by a
constant k, whose value is 2. (95 % (0.95) is the fractional area under
the Normal distribution curve between sigma = -1.96 and 1.96,
approximated to +/-2. This isn't explained in Lab34, nor in CISPR
16-4-2; it just 'appears'.)

For U-shaped distribution, the divisor is sqrt(2), and for triangular
distribution it is sqrt(6).

But, as usual, nothing beats reading the document yourself.
Things can always get better. But that's not the only option.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>