Hi Curt:

A quick Google search comes up with a lot of manufacturers'
data curves:

    http://www.accontrols.com/Typical%20Circuit%20Breaker%20Trip%20Curve.pdf
    http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ci
cuit%20Protection/Molded%20Case%20Circu
t%20Breakers/Thermal%20Magnetic%20Molde
%20Case%20Circuit%20Breakers/FA-FC-FH/0600DB0105.pdf

One of these references suggests UL 489 is one "basic"
standard for circuit breakers:

     http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/tocs/tocs.asp?doc=s&fn=0489.toc
    http://literature.rockwellautomatio
.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1489-td001_-en-p.pdf
    http://aero-defense.ihs.com/document/abstract/BXHHFBAAAAAAAAAA

Here is a comparison between UL 489 and ANSI C37:

    http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ci
cuit%20Protection/Low%20Voltage%20Power
20Circuit%20Breakers/Masterpact%20NT%20
L%201066-ANSI%20Circuit%20Breakers/0613DB9902.pdf

Here is some explanatory material:

    http://www.gcf-inc.com/GCF_Explains_UL_489.pdf

Hope these references answer your questions.

Good luck!
Rich