From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Richard Nute
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:55 AM
To: 'EMC-PSTC'; Scott Xe
Subject: Re: New dielectric strength test in IEC 60335-1

Hi Scott:

---- Scott Xe <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The new dielectric strength test voltage of the latest version of IEC
> 60335-1 is now in line with IEC 60065 in class II products.  However, the
> test voltage for class 1 products is reduced to 1,000 Vac.  Would it be the
> next step for IEC 60065 to be adjusted in line with IEC 60335-1 in future
> version?

Reduction of the IEC 60335-1 Class I test voltage
to 1000 volts is an interesting development.

Supposedly, all IEC safety standards must follow
the IEC basic safety standards.  The IEC 60664
series is a basic safety standard.  It sets forth
the requirements for solid insulation, clearances,
and creepage distances, and their test voltages.

1000 volts rms is NOT the IEC 60664 voltage for
Class I equipment.

TC108 has been struggling to correctly apply the
IEC 60664 requirements into IEC 62368 (the
standard that replaces both IEC 60065 and IEC
60950-1).  1000 volts rms is NOT a Class I test
voltage in the forthcoming IEC 62368.

Best regards,
Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html