John,

Since you mentioned tea-lights, I had to share this story...

We have a rental cabin in the mountains and for safety concerns we
purchased some of the battery powered candles to keep guests from
accidently burning the place down.  Ironically, it only took about 2
months for someone to attempt to light the candle with a real flame.
Amazingly, the plastics appear to be fairly resilient.  Of course the
candle did turn black but must have extinguished fairly rapidly.

http://www.flamelesscandles.net/

Best Regards,

Jody Leber

SGS Consumer Testing Services

Manager, Battery Test Certification Program

SGS - U. S. Testing Company, Inc.

16870 West Bernardo Drive, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92127 USA

Phone: 678.469.9835