I’m not completely clear about your questions but can only guess the
manufacturer believes the higher than normal impedance looking back into the
ac mains is a problem allowing the residual surge voltage at the generator
input to be too high.

But according to standards, surge generator back filters are required to
reduce the surge voltage that appears at the AC mains input to 15% of the
surge voltage when the ac mains is disconnected.

>From 61000-4-5 ed 2:

The residual surge voltage on the power supply inputs of the decoupling
network when the

EUT is disconnected shall not exceed 15 % of the applied test voltage or twice
the rated peak

voltage of the coupling/decoupling network, whichever is higher.

For the back-filter, this is the worst case and the generator must be able to
withstand a voltage on the input of 15% of the peak surge – for most
generators this is 6kV; therefore a peak surge voltage of 900 at the input of
the back filter should NOT damage the generator. If the damage is being caused
by a transient greater than 900 volts, I suppose it’s possible to set up
some kind of ringing and overvoltage involving the back filter in the
generator and the AC mains filter, but it seems pretty unlikely.

The only thing that makes sense is that the generator input itself is not
adequately protected or some protection component has failed allowing the 900V
remnant voltage to get into the generator somehow.

As for an overvoltage from the outside damaging the back-filter, I can’t see
how this would happen. One would need a substantial transient (greater that
the rated voltage of the generator) that could somehow get through the
de-coupling caps or clamping devices at the input of the back – filter, then
the chokes to cause some failure….

Bottom Line: AC mains filter shouldn’t matter; likely a generator problem.

BTW – I have seen problems using some AC sources (other than the raw mains)
to cause problems but typically not to the generator --- usually the voltage
remnant of the surge causes a problem with the AC source – oscillations or
shut-down.

Anyway – I doubt the mains filter has anything to do with your problem.

Best Regards,

Michael Hopkins

EM TEST USA

203 Wheeler Rd.

Hollis, NH 03049

m.hopk...@emtest.com

Office:     +1 603 595 6420

Mobile:   +1 603 765 3736

fax:           +1 603 577 9192

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>