From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Tyra, John
Sent: 2009年7月11日 2:17
To: 'Scott Xe'; EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: How to determine if battery-operated product is safe or not

Hello Scott,

Here are the Energy Density equations sent to me by METI in Japan

1. We recommend to make sure the energy density by obtaining the design from
the battery manufacture because it should be considered necessarily at the
design phase by them. Please refer to the following formula and it is
subjected to the regulation if volume energy density is over 400Wh/L.

Volume Energy Density = ( Rated Capacity * Rated Voltage ) / Outside Size

Rated Capacity: The battery capacity C5Ah (ampere-hour) specified by the
battery manufacture.
The battery capacity C5Ah means it can supply for five hours when the
battery is charged, stored and discharged under the condition of JIS C8711
(2006)7.2.1. Please refer to "JIS C8711(2006) 3.5". The discharge stop
voltage is specified by the battery manufacture.
Rated Voltage: The appropriate voltage. It is used for specifying or
identifying the voltage of a unit battery.
Generally it is five-hour discharge rate and the average discharge voltage
when measuring the rated capacity Outside Size: the outside size for a unit
cell. Please refer to the following website in detail. Unfortunately it is
Japanese only.
http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/consumer/seian/denan/kaishaku/haninokaishaku.pd

2. The battery pack which is more than 400Wh/l per one single cell is
subjected to Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Act and it needs to be
put the circle PSE mark. With in B to B contract it is enough to label the
PSE mark either before import or after import. The importers in Japan are
responsible to it.

Hope this helps,

John Tyra
Manager Product Safety Group