Conflict of Interest Notice - my employer makes multi-chemistry battery
chargers that are both stand-alone and integrated into other end-use products
- so this is serious stuff for me, and not worthy of a 'casual' reply.

There should always be a 'concern' where batteries and chargers meet -
regardless of the power level.

1. Battery safety from charger safety are not seperate issues - a properly
designed charger can mitigate many battery failures.

2. UL issued a Certification Requirement Decision for UL1310 that applies to
units powered from ITE ports (USB, POE, etc).

3. I am not certain of the meaning of "power energy", but will guess that,
below a certain VA and A, it is not considered a hazard. This level is defined
in various product safety standards and also in various electric codes. A
class 2 power source, even if rated as inherently limited, can still become a
hazard with an improperly designed charger and/or battery.

4. Integrated chargers for a radio device, where conformity is based on the
RTTE directive, do not have a lower voltage limit.

5. Although a test report, that would indicate conformity to a safety standard
harmonized in the LVD, is not required as a basis of the presumption of
conformity for a CE mark on an ITE port powered charger, I do investigate our
chargers to IEC60950-1 and/or IEC60335-2-29.

6. Battery explosions due to incorrect charger operation, mechanical abuse,
and/or a battery manufacturing defect are, in fact, mitigated by tests and
construction requirements indicated in UL1310, UL1642, and UL2054.

7. According to the USB 2.0 standard, power is supposed to be current-limited
to 0.1A per unit, with max draw of 5 units for any single device, and the
series 'B' connectors are further limited. EIA 364 is normative for USB power
conductors and connectors - so there is series R from the max size of 20 awg
wire in the conductor and inherent contact R. "High Power" usb devices are
restricted to 5 units of power - approx 500mA. Some externally powered hubs
can provide several amps - so you cannot assume the end-user will always be
limited to 500mA.

Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>