I buy thermocouple wire on separate spools so that I can control the twisted
pair, then cut the twisted pairs into 1.5m segments. Then I choose a pair from
the first third and a pair from the last third of the spools to verify. No
complaints from any auditors to date. For calibration, look at ASTM
E207/E220/E563 - but there are easier, more reasonable ways to verify
instruments and temperature sensors.

I have not seen any particular requirement in 29 CFR 1910.7 for NRTL
thermocouple-based measurements/calibration. I would be very interested in any
additional information that could be provided for NRTL temperature measurement
requirements.

Let us talk about this concept called 'temperature', because I have seen some
non-credible temperature data from CBTLs and NRTLs.

Temperature measurements are recorded for a small surface area of a larger
mass, for a single instance in time. Temperature is a scalar quantity. Do not
think of temperature measurements as vector quantities, and do not consider a
temperature measurement to represent a 'constant' characteristic.

The NIST polynomials' accuracy for the common stuff (J, K, T) has a
theoretical yield of about than 0.1 degC error through the full scale. The
NIST polynomial error can be improved an order of mag for a delimited
temperature range.

The reported accuracy of some instruments that are used for typical
engineering measurements are about the same is the resolution (about 0.1
degC), which is not practical, and maybe not possible. For any of these common
t/c types, the voltage gradient across a thermocouple wire pair is on the
order of 100s of microvolts or perhaps 10's of millivolts for most product
safety Type Test measurements. So the sensitivity of the thermocouple and its
variable lead resistance and t/c attachment thermal impedance and thermal
shunting and non-isothermal routing of t/c leads, the accuracy of the
instrument, and the ambient noise conditions all conspire to make the
resultant temperature measurement uncertainty, at best, 2 degC.

And a lab that reports temperatures to 0.1 degC is delusional.

There are some research/academic labs that may be able to control a test so
the measurement uncertainty is 1 degC or better - but the practice is not
reasonable for the engineering measurements in a product safety lab.

Let the shouting begin.

Brian