From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Monrad Monsen
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:57 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: IEC61000-4-11 for Products with Redundant Power

Is there anything in IEC61000-4-11 voltage dips & short interrupts standard
that gives guidance on how a product with redundant power should be tested?

In testing, we have always tested the product in two configurations:
  1.  One cord to dip/interrupt generator, the other cord to a steady power
source.  (Criteria A)
       Note:  This condition shows that the redundancy works appropriately.
  2.  One cord to dip/interrupt generator, the other cord unplugged (no
power).  (Criteria as listed in EN55024)

However, for those products that always are sold with power redundancy, the
power supply designers working in constrained small packages have asked if we
would not test with condition #2 but instead test in the condition #3 below.

   3.  Both cords going to power strip that is connected to the dip/interrupt
generator.  Both cords experience the immunity phenomena simultaneously.
(Criteria as listed in EN55024)

In defense of condition #3, the power supply designers point out that
generally a power interrupt would occur from the power company to affect all
cords, and it is not a normal configuration to not plug in both power plugs of
a redundant power system.   They like this approach because two power supplies
would give the benefit of nearly double the holdup time before the product
shuts down.

Hence, I am looking for guidance in the standards on what the correct approach
is for testing systems with redundant power.

Thanks.

--

Monrad L. Monsen
Compliance Program Manager

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html