From: Price, Edward [mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:35 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] 10cm above GRP requirement for 61000-4-6

________________________________

        From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Bob
Richards
        Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:10 PM
        To: emc-p...@ieee.org
        Subject: 10cm above GRP requirement for 61000-4-6

Fellow EMCers,

61000-4-6 says that the EUT must be 10cm above the GRP. There is no tolerance.
However, anyone that has worked in a machine shop or in metrology knows that
there is no such thing as "no tolerance".  What would be considered an
acceptable tolerance for the 10cm requirement?

If an auditor says that the support for the EUT has to be exactly 10cm, "no
tolerance", how can one argue with them that 1mm is not going to affect the
test?

The EFT standard, 61000-4-4, says 10cm +/- 1cm.  Could this be used as a basis
for an argument?

Bob Richards, NCT

Bob:

FWIW, MIL-STD-461, which has been around longer than 61000 (and thus was
probably the inspiration for "10 cm"), says, in Paragraph 4.3.1., "Unless
otherwise stated...tolerance shall be... Distance: +/- 5%"

Ed Price

ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN

NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

Cubic Defense Applications

San Diego, CA  USA

858-505-2780

Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html