We have some questions concerning radiated emissions testing requirements
above 1GHz for IT equipment.  The basic question is whether a single test
setup can be sufficient for both FCC and CISPR when testing for emissions at
frequencies above 1 GHz.

The FCC uses ANSI C63.4 to define the test setup (specifically, the test
site). C63.4 currently says that a site acceptable for testing up to 1 GHz can
be used for testing above 1 GHz, but also states that "additional site
validation requirements above 1GHz are under study".

The CISPR 22/CISPR 16-1-4 test method coming into effect next year provides
requirements for the test site (absorber at the OATS, etc.) and has an upper
frequency of 6 GHz.  The FCC requires testing up to the 5th harmonic or 40GHz,
whichever is lower.  There are also some differences in the limits above 1 GHz.

Does this mean that when we test above 1 GHz, we must perform two separate
tests, one to the FCC requirements, and one to CISPR22/CISPR16-1-4? Does the
FCC envision acceptance of CISPR22 test results for testing above 1GHz as they
currently do for <1GHz (and more importantly, using the CISPR22/16-1-4 setup)?

John D. Flavin
Teradata TCP Engineering
17095 Via del Campo
San Diego, CA 92127
john.fla...@teradata.com
V: (858) 485-3874
F: (213) 337-5432

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>