By law, electric fences cannot send out continuous current, but a high voltage
pulse every second or two. This allows the animal to get hit and back away
without the muscles contracting and trapping them against the fence.

Some people say that cows can sense the high voltage in the fence, but I have
seen cows get hit by the fence so I do not think that is true. They do have a
good memory so once they know where the electric fence is (by touching it)
they know to stay away.  In fact, once cows learn where the electric fence is,
you can turn off the electric without worrying about the cows getting out.  We
have had the fenser go down for weeks without the cows getting out.

Pigs are the same way. We tried to load our pigs into a trailer by removing
the electric fence and those pigs will not cross the fence line no matter what
you do. The only way we could get the pigs into the trailer was to back the
trailer into their pen, past the fence line, then the pigs climbed right in
(pigs are very curious animals).

We live within a few miles from a nuclear power plant and there are high
voltage power line all over the place (closest ones about ½ mile from my
house.  I’m not aware of any problems with livestock in our area even though
anytime someone in our town gets cancer they always try to blame it on the
power plant and/or power lines. But that’s another Interesting Story.