John, all...

I personally have five inverters a USA version that is 12Vdc/115Vac with
no P.E. and a plastic case and  four UK inverters all with metal cases
and a separate "earth" connection as well as an earthed neutral via the
three pin socket.

What is the isolation between the DC and AC circuits?
What are the possible failure modes of the equipment connected to the AC
output of the inverter?
What are the failure modes of the inverter?
Are all the failure modes visible to the user or might they be exist
without user knowledge?

With the above information we might be able to assess the need for the
metal inverter case to be "earthed" [or should that be interpreted as
"local earth"] to the car chassis.

I see the inverter situation as similar to the AC - DC power supply.
If the AC-DC isolation is such that the DC can never be connected to the
AC (internally) then there is no need for one side of the DC to be
connected to earth.
If the AC-DC isolation is such that the DC can become connected to the
AC live, then the DC would "float" on top of the AC voltage. Touching
the "safe" DC and earth would provide an electric shock and so one side
(or other) of the DC must be connected to earth - hence the AC fuse will
blow if the AC live ever become coupled to the DC.

I ask myself, why have all the manufacturers of my UK inverters gone to
the trouble and (minor) expense of fitting an external earth stud and
giving instructions to connect this stud to the car chassis? It is
certainly not aesthetics!

I hope that this is a correct assessment - but, as I am in a hurry, I
reserve the right to be wrong. :-)

Regards
Tim

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>