Hi Dan:

As far as question 2 is concerned (line frequency devices & CISPR 22),
CISPR 22 does address it.

The Introduction says:
"The scope is extended to the whole radio-frequency range from 9 kHz to
400 GHz, . . . ".  50Hz is below the range.
It also says in the Scope:
"Procedures are given for the measurement of the levels of spurious
signals generated by the ITE and limits are specified for the frequency
range 9 kHz to 400 GHz for both class A and class B equipment. No
measurements need be performed at frequencies where no limits are
specified."

Hopefully, a passive surge suppressor is not generating spurious high
frequency signals during normal operation!

By the way, UL standard 1449 covers testing of 'Surge Protective Devices'.
 Is there a similar product standard from the IEC (not basic test
standards)?

Pat Lawler
EMC Engineer
SL Power Electronics Corp.