From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of
Brian
O'Connell
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:42 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: status of energy efficency directives

In October 2008, there was a proposed change to the EuP/Ecodesign
Framework Directive 2005/32/EC; which included an exemption to
battery chargers. Also, in November 2008, it seems that the
proposal in "COM(2008)778 final" repeals the labeling directive,
and will implement labeling requirments that will apply to *ALL*
"energy-related products".

My second-best friend (Google) could not determine the status of
this proposal - and he said that only the following energy
efficency directives appear to be enforceable:
92/42/EEC, 96/57/EC, and 2000/55/EC.

Any insight into the general direction of Labeling/EuP/Ecodesign
Directives? In particular, I would like to know if 2005/32/EC is
an 'enforceable' directive, and if a dedicated battery charger,
that does not use an external power supply, would require
conformity to this directive.

Finally, battery chargers were supposed to be on the list of
products to be covered in the first round of studies, but the
'EnergyStar' tests do not cover chargers  - so is there a draft
or published standard for the efficiency of battery chargers ?

thanks much,
Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>