Hi All,

I have posted my latest Technical Tidbit:

February 2009
PCB Protection Can be Compromised by Ground Structure
(Shunting noise currents to a separate ground can cause problems)

Abstract: Printed Circuit Board designers sometimes place protective devices
on external signals as they enter a PCB and shunt the current from these
devices to a separate "noise" ground distinct from the board signal ground. An
analysis is given that shows such a grounding structure can cause problems in
some cases and alternatives are suggested.

The link to the article is the drawing of a board ground plane topology at the
bottom of the main page of my site at: http://emcesd.com .

While you are at my site, I have posted my DesignCon 2009 paper titled "Noise
Injection for Design Analysis and Troubleshooting." It is posted at the bottom
of the list of my papers under the heading "Technical Information and
Downloads" just past the section of seminar announcements near the top of the
main page at http://emcesd.com .

The DesignCon paper is just after my IMAPS paper from 2007 (you may be
interested in that one as well) on the site as shown below.

Technical Information and Downloads

        ................items deleted

*       Determining the Effects of Package Parasitics on SI and EMC Performance
(~750K)

        *       (2007 IMAPS Symposium paper)

*       Noise Injection for Design Analysis and Debugging (~1.4MB)

        *       (2009 DesignCon paper)

Doug

--

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   d...@dsmith.org
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>