Marketing people will always do that.  " . . .so and so, say then can
operate over 90 - 265V, so we need to do 85-270" and so on.  What they
don't remember or perhaps don't understand is that it is one thing to say
we can operate over that range, but another thing to meet all specs
(ambient temp and full rated power) over that range.   At another company
many years ago, engineering used to offer two of the following three
(low-line, full power, high ambient)  Our plea was rarely successful, and
to deliver all three was a challenge with added cost and schedule slip.

By the way, a 110/220 (or 120/240V USA/CAN) is a single-phase derived
system.  The term 'split-phase' refers to another type of system related
normally to motor drives as I recall.

I have heard stories about some 50Hz iron-core wall-warts burning out at
260-270Vac.   (likely excessive magnetization current causing overheating)
 Not all utilities (network operators) do a good job with voltage
regulation across their longer MV distribution feeders.

Ralph McDiarmid  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   CANADA  |
  Regulatory Compliance Engineering