From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of John
Woodgate
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:29 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: Shipping into Europe - Basic question

In message <4f73067b.4040...@matrox.com>, dated Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Martin
E. Cormier <mcorm...@matrox.com> writes:

>If a non-European manufacturer wants to ship products to Europe,
>exclusively to another manufacturer/integrator, who will then put the
>products onto the market, after integrating them in a complete system
>that is CE marked, do the non-European products need to be CE-marked
>before first entering Europe?

It depends what they are. Some do, some don't. While this is not
official, anything that has its own enclosure may be regarded as
something that could be included in a larger product by an end-user, and
thus falls within 1.2.3 of the EMC Guide May 2007. Motors other than
induction motors also need a mark.

But 1.2.3 wasn't written by an electronics person, so tends to raise
more questions than it answers. For example, a 'simple thermostat'
doesn't need a mark, but some thermostats fit the description above;
they are in a plastic box and have a control knob at one end and push-on
blades at the other. Your granny could fit it into her fridge! So it's
risky to assume it's 'simple'.

If you can say what you plan to export, you may get more specific
advice.
If 'QWERTY' is an English keyboard, what language is 'WYSIWYG' for?

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>