Van: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] Namens McInturff, Gary
Verzonden: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:46 PM
Aan: 'oconne...@tamuracorp.com'; 'EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG'
Onderwerp: RE: [PSES] Shipping into Europe - Basic question

<I propose an IECEE form for the Proclamation of the Declaration of a
Certification of Conformity.>

Why propose new documents when good old circular reasoning can solve the
problem. Especially if the real problem is not necessarily complying with the
directive but getting it past the customs folks. Being able to CE mark the
thing makes that easier since they generally stop when they see the CE mark and
documentation. They rarely, in my experience, stop the import while they check
out if it really should be CE marked. However, if it's not marked that often
seems to catch their eye. So if all other things were even then having the CE
mark and the claim to meet the directive in place would be the best choice.

One can attest to the directives a number of ways, Harmonized standards, NCB's,
TCB's etc, and quite frankly just plain ol' "I just think it meets the
requirements". There are differing consequences for each choice when it all
goes bad - but each of them is doable. The self analysis portion is imperative
given Charlie's citations. 1.2.3.2 expressly must be  understood to determine
you don't need to apply the directive to the pcb.

Using the directive itself, thanks to Charlie's citations to the EMC directive,
we can use the directive to defeat the directive.

>From Charlie's citation:
<1.2.3.2 Excluded components/sub-assemblies Components and sub-assemblies
intended for incorporation by persons other than the end user into apparatus
and/or a subsequent sub-assembly are not considered to be "apparatus" and are
therefore not covered by the EMC Directive. This may also be applied to the
examples in 1.2.3.1.>

And now the circular reasoning. The directive says I have to consider the EMC
directive when applying the CE mark. This reference above says the pcb it's out
of scope and I don't need to mark it. But since marking is the presumed better
solution I want to mark the part. Since I did read, I did understand, I know I
don't have to mark. But in knowing it's out of scope I actually comply with the
directive and I should apply CE mark.

Ta da

The conversation between Yosarian and Orr in the book "Catch 22" which
discusses Orr's apple cheeks is the best example of circular reasoning I've
ever read. It not only makes you laugh but frustrates the heck out of you as
you try to follow the logic. It is a classic "catch 22"

Gary

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html