Hello Gary,

NOM is only mandatory above 24 Volts, so you likely don't need it for a
keyboard. You don't need a specific EMC approval for Mexico. (FCC should cover
you there.) However, you will need COFETEL if you have any radios.

NOM is quite a bit different than most other safety approvals. The certificates
are issued in the name of the importer. If you have three importers, you will
end up needing three NOM approvals. I thought that in theory, there is an
Memorandum of Understanding in place such that Mexico will accept U.S. NRTL
approvals, but NOM approval seems to be the most common route used. If you do
need NOM approvals, you may want to consider an agent that works through ANCE
or NYCE instead of UL or ETL. There will be fewer hassles for your importers if
you use the Mexican agencies through a lab.

I believe the COFETEL does require in-country testing, and there are some
requirements that differ from the U.S. I've seen cases where a WiFi or
Bluetooth radio meets FCC requirements but fails COFETEL. I'm not a radio
expert, but I thought the biggest differences were in the band-edge testing.

Regards,
Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com<mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com>

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.