The RE103 discussion under Test Procedures in Appendix A.5.18 (5.18), MIL-STD
461F, is somewhat puzzling to me.  It states:

"Test procedures: Since the test procedure measures emissions radiating from an
antenna connected to a controlled impedance, shielded, transmission line, the
measurement results should be largely independent of the test setup
configuration. Therefore, it is not necessary to maintain the basic test setup
described in the main body of this standard."

Except for the receive antenna, the statement is quite similar to the
corresponding statement in A.5.6 (5.6) CE106:

"Test procedures: Since the test procedures measure emissions present on a
controlled impedance, shielded, transmission line, the measurement results
should be largely independent of the test setup configuration. Therefore, it is
not necessary to maintain the basic test setup described in the main body of
this standard."

It is logical to reason that there is no need to "maintain the basic test
setup" when conducting CE106.  There are no antenna's in the setup. Therefore
chamber reflections are not an issue, so we expect the results to be
independent from that standpoint.

So I am apparently missing something.    How could RE103 emissions measured in
either a anechoic chamber or OATS be independent of the test setup
configuration?  What is really meant by "the basic test setup described in the
main body of this standard."?

And yes, I've  checked 461E, which reads essentially the same.

Charles D. (Chad) Airy
General Atomics Reconnaissance Systems Group
16868 Via Del Campo Court | San Diego, CA 92127
wk: 858.762.6853 |  fax: 858.762.5081

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>