The applicable standards for lithium batteries depend on the application. I'm
not that familiar with requirements for lithium batteries for aircraft systems,
but that seems to be a new area. Apparently, the FAA wasn't aware enough of the
issues when certifying the battery system for the 787 Dreamliner.

For commercial products, you have IEEE 1625, IEEE 1725, UL 1642, UL 2054, IEC
62133 and UN 38.3 which all require multiple redundant protective circuits. The
protective circuit module (PCM) needs to use fuses, thermistors and other basic
measures to provide the necessary protection. The purpose of the PCM is to
protect the cells from faults in the charging circuit as well as from other
potential hazards, such as short circuits, overloads and charging at high
ambient temperatures. I can't state with certainty that immunity isn't an
issue, but it isn't the likely issue. When testing PCMs, the assumption is that
the charging circuit is one of the more likely places for faults to occur and
the charging circuit is assumed to be unreliable. The effort is placed on
designing the PCM to protect against such faults, and designing the cells to be
robust enough to survive the faults.

The problems with lithium cells are based on the efforts to get the maximum
energy density. The insulators and separators within the cells are made as thin
as possible. Manufacturing defects and contaminants can result in a puncture in
a separator leading to an internal short circuit. This leads to a thermal event
which can degrade other separators until they fail, cascading into a runaway
event. If you look through the NTSB's preliminary reports, you will see that
they are looking at such a fault as a likely cause of the event at Boston's
Logan airport.
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/2013/boeing_787/docket_documents.html

Most designers of systems with lithium cells have no control over the power
supply. The vast majority of devices with lithium cells are laptop computers,
MP3 players, cell phone and such. The manufacturer may provide a power supply,
but the manufacturer is also well aware that the customer may use an
aftermarket supply. For USB charged devices, you have no idea what is providing
the 5 VDC power. If low frequency noise from the switch-mode supply was an
issue, I expect we would have seen more events during charging.

Regards,
Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com<mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com>

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.