I agree with Ted, John, and Scott.

Cotton doesn't self-ignite from heat alone unless the heat
is applied quite quickly, before the cotton chars. In many
cases, ignition of cotton requires a flame. Charred cotton
doesn't burn.

The "Handbook of Physical Testing" gives cotton ignition
temperature as 475 C and the flash point as 361 C. See:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qa-I8QAOUL8C&pg=PA406&lpg=PA406&dq=cotton+ignition+temperature&source=bl&ots=FkF8ymi9GN&sig=FOeW52-9l7vA_PRdCjzbgkQZHRE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=M5U_UcnaHtKmqwHV_YCIDg&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=cotton%20ignition%20temperature&f=false

Flame-ignition temperature is about 200-250 C.

The notebook computer was on a pile of clothes, leading
one to hypothesize that the vents were blocked, thus
allowing the notebook temperature to rise to an abnormal
temperature. In addition, clothing is a good thermal
insulator, thus contributing to temperature rise.

Notebook batteries tend to be sensitive to higher
temperatures.

Notebook computer batteries have a reputation for internal
failures which cause overheating. My guess would be a
battery failure, leading to heating sufficient to ignite
the surrounding clothing.

Rich