From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Woodgate
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:29 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: USA Lab for Headphone Sound Pressure Level Test per EN 50332-1

In message <00c301ce2c9f$447f03c0$cd7d0b40$@gmail.com>, dated Fri, 29 Mar 2013,
Carl Newton <emcl...@gmail.com> writes:

>I'm walking on new ground with this one.  I have an automotive audio
>system with a wireless connection to portable headphones for use within
>the vehicle.  Because they are wireless, the headphones have their own
>internal speaker amplifiers and volume adjustment.  The sound source is
>external and not portable, but the headphones appear to qualify as
>portable.  What's your take on this?

It isn't a portable music player within the definition is EN 60065. One
criterion is that you can *walk around* with the *player* and headphones on
your person. Your player is fixed in the car, and I don't suppose you can walk
around in the car!

Having said that, your system could be used for listening to music for long
periods, so I recommend that you do restrict the maximum sound level to 100 dB
SPL. A measurement using a 1 kHz sine wave and an IEC
60318-1 simulator should be sufficient.

EN 50332-1 is only a 'method of measurement' standard; the safety requirements
are in EN 60065, and your system might not be able to support all of them (such
as the automatic warnings).

--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Which Thunderbird will David
Miliband pilot? Or will he drive Lady Penelope?

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>