Carl,

It could maybe, but it would also need to be considered and covered by EMC and
RoHS directives.

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Carl Newton
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:01 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Cc: emcl...@gmail.com
Subject: Revisit Old LVD - External PS question

I'm opening a very old question here, but I'd like to hear some list member
current views concerning the applicability of the LVD to devices that utilize
external wall-wort and brick power supplies.

In this example, an external brick AC/DC power supply is shipped with a device
with in input rating of +15 V dc.  Clearly the manufacturer would have to
declare the LVD on the product DoC because they become the distributor/importer
of the AC/DC power supply within the EU.  However, they can rely upon the power
supply DoC and CB Report to support their Declaration and technical file.  Does
the DC rated device also have to be considered to be within the scope of the
LVD?

The common thinking among many manufacturers in my experience is that the
device itself is outside of the scope of the LVD because of the very low
voltage input rating.

Thanks in advance for any comments/views,

Carl

<emc-p...@ieee.org<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net<mailto:emcp...@radiusnorth.net>>