On 27/7/13 12:00 AM, "John Woodgate" <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <ce18b7b1.1bc02%scott...@gmail.com>, dated Fri, 26 Jul 2013,
> Scott Xe <scott...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Appreciate your good advice!  My further check with the multiple
>> sockets indicates that although the power cable consists of 3 cores,
>> the earth connection is for the mains sockets connection and the
>> product is of class
>> 2.  I compared with other similar type of portable extension sockets
>> and believe they are all of class 2 and the earth connection has no
>> relation to its safety construction.  Thus the data shall be:
>>
>> 240 V AC 50 Hz "Double Square Symbol"
>
> I do not believe this is correct. It is difficult when it is not clear
> which safety standard applies, but if a product has a safety earth
> conductor in the cable, it *must* be regarded as Class I. Class I
> products are allowed to have parts that meet the requirements for Class
> II.

Scott: If the cable consists of earth core, the product is regarded as Class
I product.  In this case, it may not be correct since the earth connection
must be connected for those 13A multiple sockets on the conditions that EN
60950-1 is for USB sockets part and BS 1363-2 for multiple sockets part.

> I looked at several extension sockets here, and none have the
> double-square symbol, but they also do not have the statement "This
> product must be earthed". They do have statements about connecting the
> product with the correct 13 A cable to a 13 A plug.

Scott: Your observation is correct.  The products neither have the statement
"This product must be earthed" nor double square symbol.  What is the safety
construction for this product?  Not class I and II, what else?  Your second
statement is probably for the portable extension socket without a cable and
but with a AC inlet connector instead.

In BS 1363-2, it does not mention class I and II while EN 60950-1 does.  If
we look at the multiple sockets only, it neither require "This product must
be earthed" nor "Double Square Symbol" in BS 1363-2.

If the product comes with a power cord (most of current product do), there
should be no "This product must be earthed" and "Double Square Symbol".  It
leaves to the USB socket part that complies with EN 60950-1 that requires
double square symbol for class II products.  Is the double square symbol
required due to USB sockets part?

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>