I am evaluating to 60745-1 a hand held motor operated tool to that has:

-a grounding plug; and

-no accessible conductive parts.

The grounding connection provides 3 functions th at I can determine:

-dissipates static

-EMC

-allows an external overload device (e.g., building circuit breaker) to operate
in the event of a loss of basic insulation between mains and ground within the
tool.

I think that the following is an appropriate scheme by which to approach this:

1.   Classify the product as Class I.

2.   Subject the product to the electric strength requirement of double
insulation (i.e., 3750 V, mains to foil wrapped on the outside)

3.   Per clause 5.10 of 60745-1, apply the other requirements of "class II
construction" to the accessible parts of the enclosure.

Any comments from this esteemed group regarding other approaches to take or
other things to consider?

thanks,

Mike Sherman

Graco Inc.