Hello  all,

I agree with Tom that it only applies to "Class B" computer peripherals.

However, I thought I'd share an interesting recent experience with you, for
your information.

I sent a KDB to the FCC about a boat (luxury yacht) that had a USB port on
the dashboard (I'm not sure if boat users employ the terminology
'dashboard'?   I guess I mean the place where the 'driver' stands, to guide
the 'pointy end' of the boat).   J

The USB port on the dashboard was there to allow a person to use a laptop,
to update the software to the boat's GPS and navigation systems.

The FCC confirmed that the GPS etc. within the boat's dashboard would
require a DoC, because it becomes a Class B computer peripheral when you
take a laptop onto the boat and plug it into the dashboard.

I suspect this probably comes from the history of the Class B or A decision,
with regard to proximity to television receivers.

Being a luxury yacht, it had many television receivers.

I confess, I was surprised.

Michael.

Michael Derby

Regulatory Engineer