Hi Ken/Chas,

I forwarded your Q&A to a consultant friend of mine who specializes in wireless
and co-existance, Dr. Robert Morrow. Here's his comments.

802.11b has a bandwidth of around 22 MHz, and the slower data rates of  1 and 2
Mb/s have some spread spectrum processing gain (about 10 dB) that can cut the
effect of jamming signals. The 5.5 and 11 Mb/s data rates don't have much
processing gain but the receivers are usually pretty good about rejecting
interference and the 802.11 network can always drop to the lower speeds if
necessary.

802.11g has a bandwidth of about 17 MHz, and as long as a harmonic isn't
hitting one of the four pilot frequencies they usually perform well because a
few of the jammed subcarriers can be recovered via error correction. Also,
802.11g can drop to 802.11b speeds in situations of poor channel conditions.
Newer 802.11n works the same way with automatic backoff to lower data rates of
802.11g and 802.11b if necessary, and it can also operate in both the 2.4 and 5
GHz bands. The very latest 802.11ac that's showing up in computers today
operates in the 5 GHz band only.

When the interfering signal is of a different structure than the desired signal
to be analyzed, the only sure way to test performance is empirical, either
over-the-air or via cables and attenuators.

Hope this helps, Ken
_______________________
Kenneth Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC
56 Aspen Dr.
Woodland Park, CO

Phone: (719) 310-5418 / Toll Free: (877) 443-9275

Email Me! | Web Site | Blog
The EMC Blog (T&M World)
Subscribe to Newsletter
Connect with me on LinkedIn