"Californians" ?

Ralph McDiarmid  |   Schneider Electric   |  Solar Business  |   CANADA  |
  Regulatory Compliance Engineering

From:
Ed Price <edpr...@cox.net>
To:
EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG,
Date:
07/11/2013 12:13 PM
Re: [PSES] California Prop 65

"Proposition 65 requires businesses to notify Californians about
significant
amounts of chemicals in the products they purchase, in their homes or
workplaces, or that are released into the environment. By providing this
information, Proposition 65 enables Californians to make informed
decisions
about protecting themselves from exposure to these chemicals."

This is why we are flooded with silly signs which warn about "known
carcinogens" in this building, in this location, associated with this
product, etc" Every gas station, paint store, home improvement center,
auto
parts store, garden center, machine shop, welding shop have these signs.
The
signs adorn construction sites and landfills, and are so prevalent that
they
fade into the background noise and have become meaningless. About the only
time you notice it is when you go somewhere and you happen to notice that
they DON'T have a sign. The natural assumption then is that the company
has
a strict compliance officer, and he couldn't find a non-toxic source for
his
sign order. California is, in many ways, a very advanced nanny state. BTW
(and I couldn't find this before I tired of searching), I will bet that
every California State entity is exempt from compliance with this
regulation.

Seriously, look at the list of 800 or so things on the California list.
Then
parse the meaning of "significant amount" when you can detect parts per
billion of everything; you will find the exercise quite disheartening.
OTOH,
just put up the signs or warning stickers, and almost nobody will notice
them.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA  USA