Brian -

Threats of tort is commonly used to try to get someone else to absorb the
types of costs described below.  Depending on the actual cost of the
required product fixes, one side or the other may decide to eat the costs,
simply based on the typically exorbitant legal costs for pursuing a tort
and the potential for losing.

The contracted company's legal dweebs need to review the contract to see
if "professional incompetence" is on their side or on the part of the
contracting company.  Meaning, how specific was the contract in specifying
the applicable standards and was there any presumption of continuing
compliance over time.  This ties into John Shinn's question about, "build
to print," which is a contract manufacturer's backup Plan A.

As far as the who's who, simply direct them to the committee responsible
for the standard and let them tease out its membership.  It should not be
the contracted company's responsibility to take action beyond this minimal
level, unless there's a desire to play extra nice until it's time to not
play nice.

If the contracted company's legal dweebs are on the ball, they're most
likely already on these issues.

Regards,

Peter Tarver

contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended
recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message.
If you received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email