Doug,

I've experienced this for many years specifically using APC UPSs with 12V 7ah
batteries and I've used lots of different battery brands.  Don't have any
experience with non-APC UPSs.  Yes, when the batteries start to fail they swell
up and sometimes need to be pried out of the UPS.  (I only use APC UPS with
metal battery housing.) Just last week I noticed the battery fail LED on one of
my UPS (it wasn't singing, only the fail LED was on) and when I pulled the
battery I saw it had started leaking at the terminal.  This was the first time
I've ever experienced an actual leak and I'd say I've replaced these failed UPS
batteries at least 100 times.  (I have a lot of these UPSs between home and
work.)  And I've only had to resort to prying out the batteries a handful of
times although I see at least some swelling in probably half the failed
batteries.  So I guess I won't worry too much about leaks anyway.  I think
these UPSs can go for quite a while with the battery fail LED on wi!
 thout sounding alarm most likely cooking the battery until the battery is so
far gone that the UPS will either shut down or will not come up after power
cycle.

These batteries typically only last about two years in an APC UPS and the best
battery warranty on the 12V 7ah I've seen is also two years.  Best thing is to
keep an eye on the battery fail LED.  I'm not sure if the UPS charges the
battery when it's switched off, so may be best to unplug the UPS when you're
not using it.

-Dave