Let's assume for a moment that the answer is, "yes", that programmable driver
IC chips can be considered "regulating networks". Since these parts are not
certified how can you be sure that they are appropriate to use in your
application? The answer to that is "test".

We use such programmable parts in some of our designs known as a "High-Side
Driver" IC. They come out of the automotive product line and are fantastic
parts. They use them in cars to turn on and off lights and accessories. You can
overload them, short them out, subject them to rf, surges, ESD, etc. and they
just keep working. When we "test to failure" they always fail with no output
(safely). We have never been able to get them to fail in an unsafe way
(excessive current).

For us to qualify them we test them according to the standard; we overload them
until they shut down, then reduce the load slightly and run them for up to 4
hours. We insure that all traces, cable, wires, connectors, etc. can handle the
max overload current without overheating. We short the output as well but these
ICs shut down and go into a pulse mode where every few seconds they test to see
if the short has been removed. Once the short is removed the output voltage is
restored.

Even though we have a high confidence level in these parts they still are not
certified as an overcurrent protection device. So, whenever we use them to
drive an I/O cable, we always include a certified overcurrent protection device
(OCPD).

I take heat for this all the time because to be competitive these days you have
to watch every penny and our design teams argue that the certified OCPD is not
required, and our testing supports their position. They argue that regulating
network that pass the overload and short test should be adequate for safety.

I'm not sure how an NRTL or NB would view these parts. I imagine some labs
would have issues, and others would test and let it go. I imagine it will
remain a gray area with us for some time. I wish we could come up with a
definite answer for these parts.

The Other Brian