Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some more recent definitions/guidelines/criteria for
determining what constitutes critical components for the critical component
lists in the product technical construction files, in particular the files to
be maintained as part of CE compliance.  I am not un-familiar with the topic
but would like to see what's out there.  There are some very old threads
regarding this topic in the forum archives so I'm thinking there may be more
recent material on this somewhere.

I'm primarily looking for the safety related components.  There's a lot of
threads on EMC critical components.  Certainly any components which improper
operation or failure could cause unsafe operation of the product would be
critical.  Then there is the question of the components that could result in
other safety concerns such has fire or stored energy release.  In particular
would we expect to include individual power supplies of commercial equipment
(which typically are either integral with the unit or come with it as an
external plug in "brick") that are incorporated into the product in the
critical components list for example PC power supplies, display monitor power
supplies, printer power supplies.

I realize this is a subjective issue so any specific citings, white papers,
published guidelines from NRTLs or industry experts, etc. would be more useful
than opinion.

Thanks

David P. Nyffenegger, PMP, SM-IEEE
Product Development Manager