Thanks all, for your point(s) of view and 2-cents.

Resuming my conclusions:

- Creepage cannot be shorter than clearance. I think that is clear to most of
us.

- Clearance is essentially based on peak voltage stressing an specific
insulator. Even short time transients may breakdown insufficient clearance. No
news here.

- Creepage breakdown is an essential long time process governed by dissipation
effects on a surface layer covering the creepage path.
The properties of that layer are ruled by pollution degree and material group
(CTI-value) and possible other factors left out in IEC 61010.
As dissipation is linear with working voltage RMS values, its RMS value that
need to be taken into account for calculating creepage values.
This essential long time process (may be months to several years) answers also
my question on the 3Hz RMS Working voltage. Any AC voltage with a period
shorter than months (??!) need to be evaluated as RMS. A simple RMS voltmeter
is not Low frequency enough to correctly calculate the RMS values at low
frequencies. A data logger or deep memory oscilloscope is the right instrument
here.

Any comments ?

Regards,

Ing.  Gert Gremmen, BSc

g.grem...@cetest.nl
www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363
3047 BG Rotterdam
T 31(0)104152426
F 31(0)104154953

 Before printing, think about the environment.