In message <3dfa103a55a44eda91f0619162573...@thhste15d1be4.hs20.net>, dated Fri, 16 May 2014, Charlie Blackham <char...@sulisconsultants.com> writes:

In the face of competition, does BSI still make enough money this way?

Only BSI staff and HMG know. I guess so, since we don't hear of any major crisis in BSI funding.

Given that legitimate standards can be purchased in minutes via the internet, how does (or perhaps "how can") a pricing policy that doesn't appear to have changed for 20-25 years still stack up? (when we were all buying standards from national body in printed hardcopy)

I suspect that libraries, including university libraries, government departments and large companies buy more or less every standard through subscription services. In many cases, this includes free access to standards for at least hundreds of employees. The sums involved are substantial but are not multiples of the 'one-off' prices.

The changeover to electronic copies is not complete; printing facilities are still required, but on a smaller scale. Against the saving, the cost of ITE hardware and services has to be offset.
--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. With best wishes. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Nondum ex silvis sumus

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>